Monday, May 28, 2012

Lavender Farms

On the cusp of the Tallgrass Prairie, where short
bluestem grass meets tall bluestem grass,
a lavender farm thrives.

Just north of Salina, Kansas, Prairie Lavender Farm
tends over 3500 lavender plants.

This is sandhill country.

The lavender is at home in this hot dry climate.


A Lark Sparrow hunted bugs while we toured the farm.


Snowberry Clearwings,


Pipevine Swallowtails,




American Ladies



Black Swallowtails

and bees were busy nectaring in the lavender.

Mike Neustrom was an informative and gracious host.
We are planning on attending his lavender festival on
June 16th.


On the way home we stopped at another lavender farm in Kansas.


Just north of Topeka we found
Kansas Lavender.


Seeing a Sulphur-tipped Clubtail Dragonfly
in the lavender made me gasp.
Lavender is the perfect perch.
Plus this dragon has a tasty mosquito!


A White-Lined Sphinx Moth,



Great Spangled Fritillaries and

Regal Fritillaries

all have convinced me to plant more lavender.
Maybe I can figure out a way to have a mini lavender farm
on my corner of the Tallgrass Prairie.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Good Morning Sherry,

Lavender is one of the most wildlife friendly plants there is.
Sadly in my wet garden they just do not work. I do keep some in pots but they tend to get tired very quickly :(
I have accepted I cannot have them here.

I do so hope your dream turns to reality and you have a mini lavender farm in your garden.

Wonderful tonic to see the bugs on the lavender......tku for sharing your day with us :)

Deb said...

Such a gorgeous post!
Lavender jam sounds amazing ♥