Sunday, June 19, 2011

Fossil Freeway Adventure

We planned our trip this year, to the West Coast to be a
 fossil adventure.
Fossil hunting is a new hobby for us.
Our daughter lives in Portland, Oregon.
Our son lives in Northern California.
The trail is well marked.
We have all the time we need.

We left a day early.
Our dashboard sitter, Horsey, was ready to go.
This is our first time having a travel critter and she did just fine.

We left Missouri in the early morning and headed north to Nebraska.

Our first hike was in Ash Hallow.

Boots decorated the fence posts as we drove down into the valley.
We heard many birds.
The Yellow Warbler was very courious since we were the only Humans about.

The Black Headed Grosbeak was a new to us bird.

The House Wren reminded me of home.
The history of the Oregon and California trails is very interesting.

I like interpretive signs that explain the history of an area.
I am awed by the Pioneers.
These wagon ruts are over 100 years old.
My road is also curvy.
I am grateful Nebraska saw the importantance of this history and kept the plow from distroying
portions of the trails.

I think of life on the Tall Grass Prairie in the 1800's.
I think of the courage it would have taken to pack up everything and head west.

The 2,000 miles to Oregon City was difficult.
Many of the Pioneers walk with their over loaded wagons.
Many are buried along the trail.


6 comments:

Cheryl said...

Dear Sherry,

My son is in Portland today. He has meetings across USA for the next ten days.....travel safely Paul.

The trails are beautiful and brought tears to my eyes.
Bless those that passed over as they traveled.
How difficult it must have been.
We can never fully understand what our ancestors suffered.
I am always humbled by such stories......

Blue bird said...

Hello Fossil hunters! Wonderful blog! Hope Google lets me see, because for unknown reasons sometimes I am locked out.
Your writing of this blog is much more interesting than read a book!
Thanks to take the time for this amazing presentation.Love: Julia/BlueBird:)

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I am glad you are posting some of your trip on this blog Sherry. I am so curious about the trip. You drove so FAR!! I am sure it was worth it. So much to see and do. Can't wait to see your fossils.

Q said...

Dear Cheryl,
Safe travel for Paul. I do hope he enjoys his time in the U.S. Business travel can be exhausting.
We really cannot know what hardships those that came before us endured. I too am humbled by the courage the Pioneer Women had. I think I would have folded like a wild flower in the heat.
Thank you for sharing my trip with me.
I missed my friends....
Sherry

Q said...

Dear Julia aka Blue Bird,
Thanks for coming along on my adventure. Fossils are way cool!
Sherry

Q said...

Dear Lisa,
We did drive far.....and had so much fun.
Horsey and Mammoth entertained us as we cruised the Fossil Freeway!
As you can tell I will be processing trip photos for awhile. Glad you are enjoying them.
Sherry, who loves the Mammoth